Here is a short reminder from our Vet Dr. Pinny of a list of food and beverage items that can prove toxic or detrimental to our four-legged companions:
Alcohol – Brain damage, coma, death
Avocado – Vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration
Bones – Mouth, throat, stomach, and intestinal lacerations
Raisins – Kidney failure
Grapes – Kidney failure
Onions – Anemia
Garlic – Anemia
Dairy – Vomiting and diarrhea
Walnuts – Damage to nervous system and muscles
Macadamia nuts – Damage to nervous system and muscles
Mushrooms – Circulatory failure, liver failure, death
Fatty foods – Pancreatitis, diabetes mellitus
Pork – Pancreatitis
Caffeine – Vomiting, diarrhea, heart disease, and damage to the nervous system
Chocolate – Heart and nervous system damage
OTC Pain medications – Stomach ulcers, liver failure, kidney failure
Sugar-free gum/mints/toothpaste (containing xylitol) – Seizures, liver damage, death
A new hazard that has appeared in the past year or so are those single-dose laundry detergent packs that are so popular these days. These contain highly concentrated chemicals (ethanolamine, alcohol ethoxylate, benzenesulfonic acid) that can be toxic to pets (and to children). Signs of poisoning include nausea, vomiting, breathing difficulties, and stupor. Death can result if enough is ingested.
Be sure to pet-proof your kitchen, eating areas, and laundry room to ensure your pet doesn’t get into anything he shouldn’t. And finally, keep these two numbers handy in case he does.
ASPCA Poison Control Hotline (888) 426-4435
National Pet Poison Helpline (800) 213-6680
Dr.Pinny- Mobile Petcare Clinic of Texas.