Did you know that Purina Strategy and Strategy Healthy edge include Outlast Gastric Support? Did you know that the prevalence of gastric discomfort in active horses is high? Studies indicate that the prevalence of gastric ulcers in performance horses is 90% or more.
Gastric discomfort may negatively affect a horse’s health, attitude, and performance. Fortunately, recognizing signs of discomfort and providing proper management can help support your horse’s gastric health.
Choosing the right feed products and implementing good feeding management practices are vital in managing your horse’s gastric health. Purina has added Outlast Gastric Support Supplement to many of their horse feeds.
- Never allow more than six hours of fasting and provide frequent access to good quality hay and/or pasture.
- Incorporate alfalfa into your horse’s diet.
- Feed higher fat and fiber concentrate and avoid high starch and sugar feeds. The Purina horse feed lineup includes many appropriate options
- Support optimal gastric pH by feeding Purina® Outlast® Gastric Support Supplement along with concentrate meals. In addition, feed Outlast®1 supplement as a snack before you ride, trailer or show to maximize gastric support during these activities.
- For horses needing more calories, Purina® Ultium® Gastric Care and Race Ready® GT horse feeds both contain a full serving of Outlast® supplement and are designed to support gastric health and caloric needs of performance and racehorses. Strategy® GX and Strategy® Healthy Edge® and Impact® Professional Performance horse feed now also all contain Purina® Outlast® Gastric Support Supplement.
By recognizing the signs associated with gastric discomfort and adjusting management and dietary practices, you can help support your horse’s gastric health.